In a conference talk, a leader of the church asked us to consider how we are celebrating Easter. He pointed out that we wouldn't celebrate Christmas if we didn't have Easter. Easter is what saved us. Easter is the most important thing in the plan of salvation. Easter is what gives us hope after sin or sorrow. Easter means we will someday, live again. We should REALLY celebrate Easter.
In an effort to concentrate on the real meaning of Easter, I kept my fun brightly colored Easter decor in the box and set off on an excited decor adventure to decorate my mantle to celebrate Holy Week. The last week of Christ's life.
I started with a love sign because it was all done because of Love. I had the scriptures open to the holy week story in Matthew 21. Then came the palm leaves to remind us that people were excited Christ was in the city. A picture of feet being washed reminds us of the kind works and service he did through the week. A small plate held some silver coins to symbolize how Jesus was betrayed.
Next to that was a sacrament cup. A wine glass type one that they all probably drank from at the last supper. I had some wood, rope and a large nail to represent his death and crucifixion. And it was all finished with a picture of the resurrected Christ along side a mini tomb and He is Risen sign. I was pleasantly surprised how happy i was with it and how it really brought the true meaning of Easter into our home. Every day we did an activity to remind us of Christ. It was an amazing week as our hearts were turned to him daily. I have always wanted to do a last supper but wasn't really sure what I would do. Last year we had one with Clyde and Eveyln and that gave me some ideas. In a book a came across with some fun activities, there was a flat bread recipe to make for a last supper. It seemed simple and Carter asked if he could make it. So I let him! He mixed and rolled and fried everyone their own little flat bread and we made some dipping oil to go with it.
They were really yummy and I was really impressed with his desire to do it for the family and that he wants to do it every year!
And Stef's birthday happened to be right during Holy Week and she just wanted to go to the temple. So we made it happen at the Jordan River Temple and it was the cherry on top to an amazing week!
I'm incredibly grateful for my Savior and that he died for me. I look forward to a day of resurrection with my family and the eternities. Because of Him, Easter will never be like it used to in this house.
No comments:
Post a Comment