Wednesday, May 11, 2022

Freeze Drying Adventures!

We picked up the freeze dryer we bought from Ronald at Thanksgiving time but it took me clear until May to get brave enough to use it! It has been SO MUCH FUN!  I love preserving food, i love feeling like we have food storage for our family. Things we will really use and eat! My kids love the food too. What a blessing it has been! We've did apples and strawberries first. 
Then of course had to try candy! Skittles are super fun and so are jolly ranchers!
We did a test run on a bunch of candy but sadly most of it failed because we were starting to have problems with our FD which took us a few months to figure out that it was just too hot in the garage for the machine to work well. I actually prayed to figure out what we could do for it after Chad had torn almost every piece apart! One day I walked into our garage and realized it was SO hot. Like 100 + degrees! And then it hit me....duh this is a deep freezer trying to work in this heat! I looked it up, and sure enough there is an ideal temp for it to work well at. We moved it indoors and ever since it's worked like a dream.  To date, I've freeze dried, more candy, taco meat, peaches, eggs, & peppers! Thanks to Aunt Sharon who knew how this crazy machine worked and who I'm sure helped with some of that revelation!
I hope this will work forever because I have SO many things I want to do!!!
 

No comments: