Sunday, June 15, 2025

Day 5 in Obidos

This was a FAVORITE day of both of ours. We started the day with a tour of Batalha Monastery. It was built to celebrate the victory of the Castilians in 1385! The fanciest building of them all! I could have spent hours in each room looking at the fancy carvings on everything! I really want to meet these people who were so talented some day!
In that arch are dozens of carved statues. 
The stained glass was seriously so pretty! And so tall! Just HOW did they do this?!
Every inch was covered in intricate carvings. And the walls were not short!
I loved that a lot of the places we visited had mini models of the place you were visiting. It was fun to see it from a birds eye view, but we learned that the model was for the blind to come and touch and feel it so they could still experience it. 
One room had the King and Queen entombed with all their children and wives around the room. 
Ceilings!

We got to watch the changing of the guards, similar the the unknown tomb in New York, these soldiers guard the unknown tomb representing all the soldiers who have died, unknown. They walk really exaggerated with big steps and swinging straight arms. They get a 30 min break and then go back! They do not move AT ALL! 
Pretty courtyard. 
Examples of the intricate designs. 
I got the best picture of the open ceiling. Everyone wanted this shot from me. One room just didn't have a roof!
Lots of walking and lots of touring make for real tired people. Carter passed out on the window and had to document it. 
We then traveled to Nazere. The Best spot ever. They first took us to an overlook where there were more shops and people selling goods. I loved these ladies in their 7 layer skirts! Women used to wear these as they were waiting for their husbands to return from fishing. I don't really know why...but maybe if one got dirty they could remove the top layer? These ladies were so humorous and were trying so hard to sell their goods. 
Overlook to the Narare Beach. GORGEOUS!
This town in named after a 4th century wooden statue of the Virgin Mary brought from Nazareth in the Holy Land by a monk.  Nazare' is derived from this statues connection to Nazareth. The man who brought it lived on a  cliff that overlooked the sea. I imagine where we were standing. 

It is also known for the largest wave ever surfed in the world. It was 93.73 surfed by a German man. Carter bought a surf sweater here. 

That sand was a bit rocky but down by the water was HEAVENLY! A swell was going on and I got soaked a few times with unsuspecting waves that I got caught up in. My dress was wet! Waves can get up to 30 feet regularly so the kids weren't allowed in the water. So I just searched for shells and Carter laid on the beach. I

And OH these nutella stuffed churros.....they were to die for! If I wasn't already in HEAVEN I'd be dead!
Here's Bea and Pepe! 
My next #1 visit was a castle town on a hill called Obidos. It was so charming with cobblestone walks and houses with flowers. It was a gift from a King to a Queen and absolutely feels like you are in a fairy tale! They were known for their books and chocolate!
This tree had purple leaves!


Cutest shops ever! I wondered if people lived above their shops. I got in trouble for taking a chocolate sample that WASN'T free -  a cute chocolate cup that was meant for adding alcohol to. But I just wanted the cup to eat. I was promptly chased down by the shop owner and ordered to pay. That was ok because C and I each picked out some truffles and we were NOT dissapointed!
On our way out we noticed the cemetery. Here, it was very common to have several people in 1 grave. If there are more than 1 plaque, then multiple people are buried there. 
All were above ground. 
We noticed small homes in the cemetery. When we peeked through the old dusty windows, we quickly learned they were family tombs where multiple family members were buried together. We even saw one that had a very small, tiny baby casket. Sad!

But I could totally get behind this idea! All my family in one room when we are resurrected?! YES PLEASE!
That evening we stayed near a store that resembled a Target. Many of us ran over there excited to see what we could find. Lots of treats and souvenirs were bought here. Carter found a giant donut!
The fish was just out sitting on a iced table, free to grab as you needed....we had to take a gander and look at them all. 
We had a nice buffet dinner that evening then Carter made a few laps around the hotel and grocery store while I sat outside. 
This trip has just been incredible!

 

No comments: