I've always felt like I lived a pretty simple life and I'm very happy with that. We don't have major trials or heartache or scary things happening....until this week!!!
Friday March 13 - we learned that a virus called COVID 19 had reached the states from China and it was deadly and scary. In efforts to get ahead of things and after learning that a Jazz player had the virus, the governor cancelled all sports, churches, large gatherings and colleges. The next day he cancelled Elementary school for 2 weeks. Online school was quickly set up.
Monday was an out of school day anyway and Tuesday we spent our time trying to get things in our home ready in case of a quarantine order. We got some food but we were feeling pretty good about our stock pile in the basement and grateful that I went case lot shopping just the week before! Emotions were high as we were hearing of more people dying and more things being cancelled. By Tues we were told to quarantine ourselves in our homes. Restaurants were shut down for dining in and we were so grateful we got out 1 last time with Eash's before it happened.
Wednesday was the start of homeschool online!! We woke up to the most awful groaning sound and me violently shaking in my bed. I was wrenched from a deep sleep to an EARTHQUAKE!! It felt like someone was shaking me as hard as they could. I heard Mollie let out a blood curdling scream and I yelled for her to come to me! I was paralyzed and couldn't move and was still trying to figure out what the heck just happened. She hopped into my bed and we hung on to each other so tight. I tried to pray and the words just couldn't come out. My chest was so tight. Suddenly I felt a peace come over me and I was able to utter a few words. I don't even know what I said but I felt like we would be ok.. Knowing that aftershocks follow an earthquake, I was bracing myself! And sure enough, a few minutes later we felt our home tremble again with that same awful groaning sound from the earth. Carter came in and was quite excited to tell us about what happens in earthquakes and the portuguese name for earthquake. He wasn't too phased. Mollie's bed shook pretty hard because its a loft bed and not too sturdy. Carter I think was enjoying the ride and the little girls didn't even know it happened!!!!
When I got the courage to get up and go check our home I was happy to find that only 1 thing had fallen off the wall. And nothing else, food storage or other decor, had fallen or broken. I felt so blessed. Friends reported cracks in their basements and other damage was done closer to the epicenter, but we were pretty safe! Thank heavens! We fought our way through home school trying to figure it all out while at any moment we knew we could have another quake. Over 80 aftershocks happened that day. We felt just a handful of them. Chad was at work on the top floor of a 5 story building much closer to the shocks. He felt a lot of them and his work was evacuated for quite a while. They also are in quarantine so only one person at a time could go in to check their equipment and building.
I was sort of a mess. I was holding back tears all day. I knew that exercise would help so I did a little. And it did help...but about 1:15 we had another aftershock. The day was unnerving. Mollie said several times that online school was hard when your morning starts with an earthquake. I feel you girl! We were all so glad when Chad's boss let him come home early. I was exhausted running from kid to kid to help them find their work, entering pass codes and translating things from portuguese to english!
Thursday we had a better handle on school stuff and aftershocks were still happening. I had a good cry and was feeling better to tackle the day. The schools were handing out bagged lunch so we used that as an excuse to get out of the house. Friday wasn't so bad and the school load was lighter.
I was so happy to have the weekend here!
Saturday we got up and started some home projects. Finishing the bathroom and painting Carters room was on the agenda. Then we went for a drive to Rush Valley. I've always wanted to go out there just to see what it was like. Old and worn down houses was about all we found. We did come upon a park that had a merry go round and all the old park toys. So we played for quite a while and the sun came out and it brought us all alot of joy. No one was there but us and it was a special time to play with our kids. That evening as we were having dinner, the power flickered about 5 times and then went out. We ate dinner in the dark but opened the blinds to let as much light in as we could. We learned a man cutting down some trees made the lines blow when they fell. Mollie immediately fell into a puddle of tears and said this was the worst week of her life. About 30 min later, the power was restored to our home but many were still without it until 2AM.
Sunday has been perfect so far. We had the sacrament in our home then went for a hike and we are getting ready to do some Come Follow Me. I am so grateful for a prophet who is a seer that leads and guides this church. Who tells us to take our vitamins and to prepare ourselves. Who set up home centered church so that when this day came we would know exactly what to do. Despite the scary week, I have seen so many blessings. I saw a facebook post that said Families are remembering how to be families. You see them out for bike rides and walks and doing things as a family. We have played lots of games, gone to the park, played ball in the yard, built forts, read books and had sleepovers. My kids are growing closer to eachother every day.
I've learned that I am resilient. That I can go through hard things. I've learned to be more prepared and to rely on the Spirit. I've gained a stronger testimony of faith over fear and know that the Lord is in charge. We have weeks of quarantine ahead of us. In fact the schools just pushed back their start day to April 10th...which gives us atleast 3 weeks. I hope we don't go crazy. But honestly, as hard as it is, I've been less stressed of trying to get all the kids everywhere to where they are supposed to be and going to meetings and running everywhere! I have time to play with my kids and snuggle and read to them without having to hurry. I'm always telling them to hurry up which I hate, but in order to do all the things, we have to hurry. I don't think I've said that once in the last week. No one is in a hurry for any reason and its great!
We have lots to make it through in the coming months, but our prophet has promised us that this will pass. And I believe it. I'm grateful for this reminder to be prepared and watch for signs of Christ's coming. I can't wait for general conference and look forward to hearing messages of peace!
No comments:
Post a Comment