Friday, March 20, 2020

March 17th.. one to remember

Besides St Patricks Day and my friend Steffani's birthday (the 16th) March 17/18 is one I'll remember forever. We had been hearing some rumors about a virus in China...didn't think much about it. But it slowly crept it way into the US and it started spreading like crazy in the coast states. Rumors started flying about schools closing and jobs and stores. Just from those few rumors and what the news was reporting, people started going crazy. Stores were overrun with hoarders stocking up on essentials and soon there was no toilet paper to be found! We met at the park to celebrate steffani's birthday and we chatted a little about this. Schools couldn't really be closed, right....this couldn't be worse than the flu could it? There was a seriously uneasy feeling about that day. 




We watched daily as more cases were reported of COVID-19 and it crept closer and closer to us. One night, the Jazz were scheduled to play. They were out on the court warming up and seconds before tip off, the Jazz players were escorted back to the locker room and the game was cancelled. No one knew what was going on! Come to find out, two of their star players had tested positive for the virus.

The next day, the Governor closed Colleges and restricted to gatherings larger than 20. All large conventions, games, sporting events and gatherings were cancelled. The next day, they cancelled all school.....WHAAAAAT?!!!!! Can you do that? We were told to stay home and stay safe. That we shouldn't go out unless absolutely necessary. That we should use gloves to get gas and wear face masks if we left home. We were initially told for 2 weeks this would be the plan. Time passed and they extended the day to May 1!  6 weeks with my children in my home 24-7?! I was happy and I was devastated. How in the world would we do this? How can I be a teacher and a mom and a chef and a wife and a homemaker all at the same time all day long? I had alot of fears and a lot of doubts!

Because all large gatherings were cancelled General Conference was restricted to no audience. Only those involved in that particular session could attend. We were promised a memorable conference but who could have expected this!? A few days after that temples partially closed, then closed until further notice. There would be no Easter egg hunts, no family gatherings, birthdays would be confined to our homes and for the guys, there was no sports to entertain them and NO SPRING BREAK traveling or gathering.

I handled the initial shock pretty well but had my moments of mourning the loss of my schedule. My workout classes were cancelled, gyms were closed, no PTA meetings, no soccer, no sunday calling, no dance, no volunteering at school, no activity days or piano... my normal schedule was completely ripped from me and flipped upside down in a few days. I was left to find a new normal and start from scratch learning my kids new programs and figuring out how to keep them entertained. We hit the parks alot......then the parks closed. WAAAAAAAHHHH!!!!

If you remember from my anniversary post, I had been upset at our current schedule of being so busy and I kept feeling like something needed to change but I didn't know HOW to implement a less busy schedule so we could have more family time. I guess when you are FORCED into it, you can't complain when you get what you have been praying for. For the first few weeks we played alot of games, made food together, laughed, played basketball and soccer together, did crafts and actually were all home together, EVERY NIGHT! While it has been a challenge sometimes, I love that I am again the main influence on my children and that they are home and safe and protected from the world. This time has been a HUGE blessing in disguise because we are getting the family time we so desperatley need to become a strong family. I've seen my children grow closer together and become friends. They've had to rely on prayer and each other to find happiness and comfort. So many great lessons and conversations have taken place about how we CHOOSE happiness or misery. Yes this is hard, but we can choose how we want to look at it. Again, THIS IS SO HARD....SO HARD! I am stretched so thin daily and my constant attention is on my kids. There is no quiet, no bathroom time..someone is always making noise...And in my noise bothered head it makes me want to scream sometimes!

BUT I have also cherished this time greatly. I feel like I am finally getting a chance at being the mom I want to be. I have time to do the game and do the craft and bake and talk and go for drives and play at the park and breathe in life. I feel myself relating to my kids like I have never before. Feeling their feelings and getting to know who they are becoming. What more could a mother want? (Except a nap and some quiet time and a soda!) Miracles have happened. People have woken up to a better way of life. To check on your neighbor and be willing to share what you have. While anxiety's are high, this has brought out alot of good in the community.

As I write this it is now April 19th. We have survived one month of home school and social distancing. We've celebrated birthdays, had distanced date nights, zoom workout classes, video chats with teachers and we have survived! Chad's job has been stable through all of this and I am so grateful for that! He has had to be isolated at work which I'm sure is lonely. Bishopric meetings have stopped and we have him home and available alot! This slower way of life has been really nice. But I really am ready to get back to...not normal, but a BETTER way of life. With more balance and more intention of being a family...rather than running from place to place and being exhausted from it!

Through this crazy month, we somehow were able to keep our diet pretty well! Which is a miracle in itself because I am a big time stress eater! To this day, Chad has lost over 25lbs! I lost 6 and since going off of is teeter between the 5 & 6 pound mark. It has stayed off though for the 2 weeks I've been adding carbs back in. I kept thinking this was the worst time for a diet, but really it has helped knowing what I will and won't eat and what better things to reach for when I need a snack. I can't imagine where I'd be if I let myself stress eat for a month or 2!

There are blessings all around. Its just what you choose to see.

No comments: