Friday, June 7, 2019

Tonsils

For about a year I have been watching Brielley's tonsils just get bigger and bigger. I requested them out once but her doctor said she hadn't met the requirement yet of getting strep too often. Well the next winter we had strep 4 times in a 6 month period. The last time we went I had already schedule an apt with an ENT at primary childrens but it was so far out so we took her back to her pediatrician. He took one quick look and said WOW those things need to come out! FINALLY!! Look at those things! They were touching in back and there is hardly any room for her to breathe. I was so glad. He got me into see a local ENT lots sooner (and cheaper) the Primarys so I was grateful for that. 
 She asked lots of questions leading up to it but on June 4th after all the school things and soccer were over, we had her surgery. She was decked out in purple and wonder woman to give her courage and had bear bear packed in her bag to give her some comfort.
 She was a little champ as they prepped her for surgery. I was glad they didn't do the IV until after she was put to sleep.

 I was of course quite nervous. I had recently heard a few horror stories of things going wrong in tonsilectomys and its just always hard to see your kids in that situation.
 One last look!
 A tender mercy that helped us both calm down were the nurses! DeZell, a friend from our first ward in Tooele, was one of her nurses. The other nurses were so good with her and made her feel so calm and comfortable. After surgery she kept saying she wanted to go back to see all her new friends.
 Off she goes! The surgery was only 45 minutes and in no time we were being called to the consultation room to chat with the doc.
 Everything had gone well! He said that her adenoids were blocking 70% of her nose! Poor thing! He said she would feel so much better once she was healed. When we got to see her she was still very groggy. She likes to look at these pictures because she doesn't remember it at all. She kept trying to sit up and wouldn't just lay down. But she did eat a popsicle right after surgery.


 We got to wheel her out to the car in a wheel chair and she didn't even remember.
 She crashed right away and slept till we got home.
 Right away she wanted to have the treats we had stocked up on of ice cream and popsicles! She had a basket of things to keep her busy and a few treats and drinks. She was a champ the first few days and ate meals and drank and didn't take any naps. Which I WISH she would have. Then day 5 hit....


 She went from this happy little thing on day 2 or so to...
TOTALLY miserable! Crying, pouting, being mean, throwing fits and not sleeping through the night. We all were a little miserable but I was trying to be patient because I knew she was in pain. They say day 5-10 are the worst and they were. She didn't want to eat anything but Popsicle and when she is hurting she gets a little mean! But luckily those hard days passed and she came back to her sweet happy self. She had a few visitors bring treats and she was very spoiled and taken care of by her sisters and brother. She sounds different and is quite a bit louder! She sleeps better and is just so happy now. It was tough, but I'm so glad we did it! Darn tonsils!!!!

No comments: