On a night in September, I got a phone call from my mom telling me that Karsten, my cousin Ericka's son, had committed suicide. Oh I was so so SAD! He was 15 years old and had struggled with mental illness for a while. I was devastated this happened in my family.
The worst part, was that his mom had gone to Alaska on a hunting trip and could not be reached for 3 days. All funeral plans were put on hold until she could be found and reached. By a series of miraculous events, she was found and told the news. She got back to Idaho as soon as she could. I talked to her before she got back and she just sounded so deeply sad.
They held a celebration of life in his honor and he was later cremated. It was a nice tribute and many family shared special memories. Later at a luncheon, they did a science experiment to honor his love for science. Everyone was given a coke and mentos and at the same time set them off. It brought smiles to many and I thought was a tender sign of love for him.Ericka and Taylor were very gracious to one another and their significant others. They put on a beautiful event that I think Karsten would have been proud of.
Whenever things like this happen, I think everyone is reminded of what really matters and how important family is. Suicide is never the answer. No one is better off without you. Period. The kids, although sad, were too young to comprehend much and played really well on the playground together. I was so glad that most everyone could be there.









No comments:
Post a Comment