We got the news on Nov 13th that Uncle had passed away. He'd been pretty miserable for a while and I remember the last time I saw him. It was at Grandpa's funeral in Sept. I went to give him a hug and thank him for coming. I asked how he was doing. He said not great and he thought he'd be really lucky if he survived the winter. Right then and there I knew it might be my last time seeing him, knowing that winter was just a month away.
In May, he had a retirement party with the fam and got to see alot of relatives for that.
This is the famous family picture that the siblings have been doing since my dads wedding. I love that they recreate it every chance they get. Now they are down to only 4 siblings.

Originally he didn't want any sort of viewing or funeral but after he passed, Mary decided to do a full military rights funeral and a viewing. So we rearranged our plans so we could be there. As always its always hard to say goodbye to those you love. My dads face in this picture really gets to me. They were really close and I'm glad they had each other.
Most the fam was able to make it. Everyone but Tony.
Alot of his art was on display
And a fitting tribute of pictures, fishing poles and kites.
He was buried in what we always saw him wearing. American colors and a ball cap.
My handsome dad conducted the funeral and did a tremendous job. Although I know he was grieving, he was very gracious and kind and accommodating to his family.
The service was nice and ended with a gun salute. We had no warning it was coming and it scared Mol really bad and she screamed! Whoops!
As I thought back of my memories of him I remembered spending lots of summer days at his house. Chasing his cat around, exploring his junk yard, flying kites on fishing poles and swinging in a tire swing. I had forgotten that he was the one who taught me the few piano skills I knew. When we visited his house I spent a lot of time looking at all his treasures. His paintings, painted rocks, and Buddhas that were scattered throughout the house. He was gruff in nature but had a big heart. He was funny and loved to fish. Many recalled the story of sitting on a quite lake or river bank waiting for the fish to bite. He'd let out a loud holler of HEEERRRE FISHHH! And let it echo off the surrounding mountains. I hope that he finds peace in his life and is free of pain and his broken body. He sure was a good guy.








No comments:
Post a Comment